Abilene Annual Buddy Walk for Down Syndrome Awareness is October 11
The National Down Syndrome Society and The Upside Down Club, Abilene's Down Syndrome support group, will be holding their annual 'Buddy Walk' on Saturday, October 11th. This event will provide a great opportunity for the Down Syndrome support groups in the Abilene area to get together and for the community to show support for those living with Down syndrome.
- Upside Down Club 'Buddy Walk' for Down Syndrome Awareness
- Face painting
- May Farm
- Pony rides by Ren's Rides
- Train rides
- Inflatable slides
- Fire truck and
- DJ music
- Informational booths
- The Chick-fil-A cow will be there taking pictures
Date and Time
- Saturday, October 11th from 9am-Noon
- Registration begins at 9:00am
- Walk begins at 10:00am
Beltway Baptist Church, 4009 Beltway South, Abilene, Texas
- Website: BuddyWalk.org
- Facebook: TheUpSideDownClub
- Phone: DeeDee Baker (325) 721-2094
Facts about Down Syndrome:
- Down syndrome is the most commonly occurring chromosomal condition. One in every 691 babies in the United States is born with Down syndrome.
- There are more than 400,000 people living with Down syndrome in the United States.
- Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased dramatically in recent decades - from 25 in 1983 to 60 today.People with Down syndrome attend school, work, participate in decisions that affect them, and contribute to society in many wonderful ways.
- All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses.