No Dogs Allowed Near the Abilene Splash Pads and Other Rules
This kind of reminds me of the old Cyndi Lauper song "Girls just wanna have fun" however I hear it in my head as "dogs just wanna have fun." That said, dogs cannot have any fun anywhere near the City of Abilene's Adventure Cove, or the city's splash pads, which is according to the rules recently posted.
Interestingly, the Adventure Cove allows dogs only one day of the year, and it's always the day after the Adventure Cove closes for the season in early September.
No dogs or pets of any kind are allowed at any of the water features during the regular season.
As a matter of fact, I was just informed by the City of Abilene that the new signs explaining all the rules were recently put up on display at each of the city's water features. The main reason that dogs, cats, or any pets for that matter, are not allowed to cool off with us, is because the water is recycled at these water features.
The Abilene splash pads claim that they recycle 90% of the water used on all the water features run by the City of Abilene and they're trying to avoid germs and diseases pets might contribute. So, in an effort to keep everyone safe and informed, here are the City's rules for the splash pads. This comes from the Scarborough Splash Pad:
- Non-service animals prohibited
- Changing diapers within 6 feet of the water feature is prohibited
- Use of the water feature if ill with a contagious disease is prohibited
- Do not drink water from the water feature
- Use of the water feature when ill with diarrhea is prohibited
- Children need to be supervised at all times
- Do not climb on equipment
- Play at your own risk
- No lifeguard or staff on duty
- Please exit the splash pad area if you see lightning or hear thunder
- All participants must have proper swim attire
- No running
- No glass containers
- No alcohol in the park
- No smoking in the park
- Please put trash in trash receptacles
- Children and toddlers must wear diapers
- Bicycles, skateboards, skates, long-boards, or similar products are not permitted
- No pets, toys, water guns, balloons, or rocks are permitted
These are the rules, abide by them, and have a fun wet summer. For more information about the Adventure Cove of Splash Pads contact the City of Abilene's Recreation Division at (325) 676-6217.